Website Illinois Institute of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology’s Office of General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and representation to the University, and to faculty and staff acting in their roles as representatives of the University. This full-time paralegal position must work independently on a wide range of complex and novel topics including of transactional, regulatory, administrative and litigation matters.
This paralegal position will work closely with the three attorneys and the Assistant to the Vice President and General Counsel to support the legal and administrative duties handled by the Office of General Counsel.
- This position, on occasion, requires verbal and written communication with Board Members, Vice Presidents, Deans, and Directors. The position will more generally involve communication with other members of the university community, including faculty, staff and students as well as extensive communication with the tenants and members of the public, including public officials.
- This position, on occasion, will interact with Board Members and University officials. More generally, the position will interact with staff in other departmental and administrative offices as well as faculty members and students as well as external entities, including public officials and tenants. All interaction must represent the General Counsel’s Office in a professional and courteous manner.
Education & Certifications:
- Paralegal certificate preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Three (3) years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in a law firm, corporate office, or university/college setting.
- Notary public certification is required; if not already possessed, must be able to secure notary public certification within 60 days of hire.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Word and Excel), Adobe and database management programs.
- Strong time management and project management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and research skills, including the ability to communicate professionally and reliably with people who work at all levels of the University.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think strategically, solve problems creatively, and provide actionable advice.
- Litigation and intellectual property experience desired.
- Experience with insurance and risk management desired.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with Office of General Counsel legal team to develop policies and procedures and implement best practices for addressing legal matters affecting the University.
- Draft template-based agreements and other documents, including non-disclosure agreements, liability waivers and releases, and independent contractor service agreements.
- File and maintain applicable state and municipal business licenses and permits.
- Conduct legal research and prepare, organize and file court and government agency documents as needed.
- Support litigation and litigation-related activities, including responding to subpoenas and discovery requests, and responding to other requests for records.
- Assist with Board of Trustees matters, including preparation of meeting materials, resolutions, officer’s certificates and committee meetings.
- Update and maintain office databases for patent, contract, international agreements, and other legal records and related information.
- Assist in the maintenance and renewal of insurance policies.
- Analyze and process wage liens, deductions and garnishments, as well as bankruptcy filings.
- Coordinate and maintain various compliance related processes as they relate to faculty, staff, and trustees including the tracking and storage of questionnaires and disclosures.
- Assist with the coordination of committees chaired by members of Office of General Counsel.
- General office administrative functions, particularly in absence of the Assistant to the Vice President and General Counsel.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
Travel to other buildings on the Main Campus as well as the possibility of occasional travel to other IIT campuses (Downtown Chicago, Summit-Argo or Wheaton) or other locations in the Chicagoland area may be required. Regular need to travel to other buildings on the Main Campus as well as the possibility that occasional travel to other IIT campuses (Downtown Chicago, Summit-Argo or Wheaton) or other locations in the Chicagoland area may be required. Sitting, standing, walking (95%); occasionally walking up several flights of stairs while in the process of running errands (5%).
The normal hours for this full-time position are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. From time to time this position may require work effort during evenings and/or weekends as major deadlines approach. Usually, these periods are less than a week in duration and occur only a few times per year. This position is eligible for hybrid work arrangement that may include a partially remote work location up to two days per week, consistent with University policy.
Quicklink for Job Posting and Application Instructions:
Required Documents Needed to Apply:
- Cover Letter
Letter(s) of Recommendation and/or Reference(s) are no required to apply but may be requested at a later date.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
University faculty, staff and students are required to be up to date with their COVID -19 vaccinations. You are considered up to date when you have followed current recommendations by the CDC , including boosters if/when applicable. Individuals may request an exemption from the COVID -19 vaccination for medical or religious reasons.
Illinois Institute of Technology is an EEO /AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ ADA / ADEA employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity. It is committed to fostering an inclusive environment and actively seeks applications from individuals of all backgrounds and identities regardless of race, color, sex, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, age, unfavorable discharge from the military, status as a protected veteran, sexual orientation including gender identity and expression, order of protection status, and/or genetic information. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
To apply for this job please visit iit7.peopleadmin.com.