Kirkland & Ellis
Kirkland & Ellis LLP is a preeminent, full-service law firm with offices around the world and a staff as diverse as the practice areas we support. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to medium and small corporations, financial institutions, and private equity firms. Known for our commitment to excellence, Kirkland strives to provide superior service to our clients as well as our fellow employees. From Information Technology to Human Resources, Paralegal Services to Business Development, Kirkland offers non-attorney professionals challenging careers in a variety of functional areas. Whether starting or growing your career, Kirkland can offer a performance-driven culture filled with bright and innovative teams of co-workers.
Essential Job Functions
The Litigation Paralegal I is responsible for assisting with managing all aspects of large scale complex litigation reporting directly to the senior paralegal. The Litigation Paralegal I will be responsible for organizing and managing electronic and hard copy document collections. Legal and factual cite checking. Trial preparation and attendance. Prioritize and manage multiple cases/projects. Team oriented with a collaborative focus mentoring and assisting with management of junior paralegals.
I. Manages document production processes
· Assists with the collection of material from client, opposing parties, and third parties (hard copies, electronic data, physical evidence)
· Maintains chain of custody
· Manages logistics of production of documents – hard copy, images, native
II. Substantive Research
· Analyzes documents and materials
· Researches rules of procedure for relevant court venues
III. Coordinates preparation and filing of briefs and legal documents
· Researches local rules of procedure for relevant court venues, and obtain info re same
· Drafts routine filings (e.g. attorney appearances, notices of filings, notices of motions)
· Checks legal cites for proper format, content and standing (Westlaw, Lexis; Blue Book)
· Researches and checks fact cites for proper format, content and accuracy (Blue Book)
· Compiles appendices and exhibits
· Manages service of process; files with court and serves on parties; coordinates with local counsel
IV. Manages trial and hearing preparation and support
· Compiles and tracks trial exhibits
· Prepares pretrial documents
· Manages trial transcripts
Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess 3-5 years of experience focusing on complex litigation cases, including managing large discovery, preparing for trial, and managing trial support. Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity, initiative and ability to work in a team environment. Bachelor’s degree required. Flexibility to accommodate for travel and overtime is required. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds is required.
MS Office proficiency required
Litigation Support Applications – Relativity, Textmap
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please use the link below to apply directly:
To apply for this job please visit staffjobsus.kirkland.com.